A special discussion was held yesterday at the Taj Samudra Hotel in Colombo under the chairmanship of Mr. Sajith Premadasa, Leader of the Opposition, with representatives including ambassadors representing 12 countries and leaders of the opposition parties.
The discussion took place with the primary purpose of clarifying the facts about the current situation in Sri Lanka.
In particular, matters such as consolidating democracy in Sri Lanka, protecting the constitution, and conducting local government elections were discussed at length.
The leader of the opposition asked the ambassadors to continue providing the international support needed for the building of Sri Lanka.
This is considered to be the first time that many diplomatic officials have participated in such a discussion called by the opposition.
The following ambassadors and delegations participated in the event.
- H.E. (Ms.) Sarah Hulton, High Commissioner, High Commission of United Kingdom in Sri Lanka
- H.E. Denis Chaibi, Ambassador, Delegation of the European Union in Sri Lanka
- H.E. Michael Appleton, High Commissioner, New Zealand High Commission in Sri Lanka
- H.E. (Ms.) Julie J Chung, Ambassador, Embassy of the United States of America in Sri Lanka
- Mr. Anouk Baron, Deputy Ambassador, Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands in Sri Lanka
- Dr Francesco Perale, Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Italy in Sri Lanka
- Mr Vinod Jacob, Deputy High Commissioner, High Commission of the Republic of India in Sri Lanka
- Mr. Katsuki Kotaro, Minister/Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of Japan in Sri Lanka
- Ms. Lalita Kapur, Deputy High Commissioner, Australian High Commission in Sri Lanka
- Mr Aurélien MAILLET, Deputy Head of Mission, Embassy of France in Sri Lanka
- Mr Daniel Blood, Counsellor (Political), High Commission of Canada in Sri Lanka
- Mr. Ozaki Takeshi, First Secretary, Embassy of Japan in Sri Lanka.